Saturday, September 1, 2012

Creativity Circle: Personal Life Tassel


“Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun.”   Mary Lou Cook


First, thank you for committing to your creativity. I know this can be a little scary, but I assure you that this will be fun!

Began teaching this course nearly fifteen years ago to my quilt students and was given opportunities to also share with artists who did not work in textiles. It worked for them too. So you can create the assignments using any medium you wish.

Step One


Please purchase a blank notebook that is at least 8-½” by 11.” Sketchbooks are great.  If you like, also purchase some colored pencils. Don't be afraid to carry it with you so you can jot down ideas, thoughts, etc.

 
This is how it will work.

All assignments will be presented here on the first of each month. Remember you have a month to get it done. It is important that you take the time to work on your assignments and complete them. I cannot stress this enough. I am asking that you truly commit to the journey and the people who are sharing the journey.

Julia Cameron has a contract in her book The Artist's Way. I've modified her contract and offer it to you below. I highly recommend signing such a contract and posting it on your refrigerator as a reminder to not only you but the people around you. I've had many students use this as a means to get through to their families that this is important. "I have signed a contract and need to fulfill it."

The first part of each assignment will be sharing of the previous month’s completed project you can do this on your blog or by sending me a photo. For those of you posting it on the blog, send me a link. Photos and links are due one day before the first of the month.

I will also be suggesting books for you to read. Use your library to check them out. There will also be optional field trips.

Please honor this gift. If you are not a follower of my blog, please become one. Please leave a comment if you plan to join this journey.
 




“Wherever you are is the entry point.” Kabir


Assignment #1 –Personal Life Tassel



In this assignment, you will create a tassel that will reflect who you are and what you love. Time to clean out your junk drawer(s). Find all the little treasures, the flotsam and jetsam of your life that you have tucked away (pins, buttons, beads, a leftover earring, keys, anything you can tie onto your tassel) and get them out! Please also think about where you would like to hang your tassel so you can see it. Remember to have fun!
 
9” – 12” metal or wooden ring or anything that you can hang things from (many students have used old embroidery or quilting hoops)

Ribbons, cording, and/or fabric
 
Specialty threads and/or yarn

Your treasures

Scissors

Large-eyed needles to help you attach your items

Thread to sew items 

Have any questions, feel free to  contact me with any questions or concerns.
 
Creativity Contract

I, ___________________, understand that I am undertaking a guided encounter with my own creativity. I commit myself to the duration of the course. I commit myself to reading, outings and the fulfillment of each month’s tasks.

I, ___________________, further understand that this course will raise issues and emotions for me to explore and deal with. 

I, _________________, commit myself to excellent self-care- adequate sleep, diet, exercise and pampering- for the duration of the course.



Sign___________________________

Date___________________________
 



2 comments:

  1. Sincere apologies for not posting sooner - I got caught up in some other stuff, thankfully mostly creative :) I have some ideas for a tassel already!

    ReplyDelete

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.