Saturday, March 16, 2013

Day of the Dead Mask

I continue to play with clay and maskmaking. Last night I finished my Day of the Dead mask. I have always loved the historically rich Mexican culture and especially their view of death. This one is smaller than most of the masks I have been creating. It's 6" x 7.5". I am giving myself the freedom to use anything that will help me create the piece as I have imagined it. I was surprised, although I probably should not have been, that some people at Clay Space asked me if what I was doing was "allowed." Just as my thinking in the beginning was that I needed to use glazes, there are those who stay within those perimeters. Not everyone gets what I am doing and that is okay. It has been the story of my life. I am finding that most clay people seem to be more open to those who think outside the box and for that I am thankful. Right now I am having too much fun! What have you done lately that feels you with glee?

2 comments:

  1. Great mask Karen. I like the texture on the bottom; did you sculpt it or use a stencil technique? Glad you are showing people how to step out of the box in the clay zone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you would be surprised to see what I used to create the texture. It was a metal screened candle holder made in India. Having a lot more fun using it to create textures than its intended use. Hugs, Karen

    ReplyDelete

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.