Monday, April 8, 2013

A Little Piece Of History

Over the weekend when I was paying for something, I discovered that I had a Buffalo/Indian Head nickel.  My dad loves to collect coins (ones that end up in his pocket) so he will be thrilled when I share him my news. It's been around for a long time and almost all the lettering has worn off. These coins were minted from 1913-1938. The U.S. Mint says, "Buffalo nickels are also regarded as good luck pieces by some and seem to engender a sense of nostalgia for others." I hoping for luck and feeling a little nostalgic. 

I have always had a passion for history and especially the history of women. It is why I became involved in preserving quilt history and why I encourage people to document their own. We need to make sure that there is not a disconnect between object and person.  It is something I need to do more of with my own quilts especially since I have begun to give them away. How are you documenting your work?

Is it important to you to be remembered through your quilts? I remember the first time I was asked that question and to be honest, I had not thought about my quilts in that way. I do know that the family quilts that I have I truly wish I knew who made them and something about the women who made them.  I was thrilled to learn through probate records that my great-grandfather that quilts were listed in the inventory. Who will wonder about you and me?

1 comment:

  1. I did a lot of genealogy work over a multi-year period of time. Several of the oldest estates had listings as you described - quilts were on those lists, too.

    Yes, it is important to me to be remembered through the quilts I make. Most have labels and the rest should (I know - I try). I love having my grandmothers' quilts.

    ReplyDelete

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.