Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Feeding the Creative Soul

It was a wonderful play date with my friend Barbara. It had been more than two months since the last time we got together and I was struck by how much I have missed our creative play dates. She commented about how we use to spend hours on each card. Okay, a slight exaggeration but we use to stress and work so hard. Now we breeze through (she is still quicker) our creations. We no longer over-think. We quickly came to the realization that each piece does not need to be a masterpiece. It simply has to be expressions of love. This is what comes of practice.

After working on gifts for family and friends, I made some collage cards just for me. It was so much fun. They made me feel good. They are definitely cards that I will be happy to share. It also makes me want to create something similar in fabric. I'm excited! I don't remember who said it but it has always rung true to me, "A state of excitement, and it is like a faucet: nothing comes unless you turn it on, and the more you turn it on, the more comes."

I was limited to what I decided to pack and carry to Barbara's today. I think the limited pallet and Barbara's challenge to use a sheet of rub-ons helped me create them. Ultimately, it doesn't matter to the world that I have created these. The world can get by without them and me, but that is not the point. The point is what the inner process of following our creative impulses will do to us. It is all about process. Love the work, love the process. Grow, make mistakes and above all keep creating. That's what I plan to keep doing. There is no alternative to showing up.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.