Saturday, June 29, 2013

The House Project: Honor and Healing

While the prayer flags certainly put me in a better state of mind over the loss of my friend Carolyn, I kept thinking that they were more about me than Carolyn. While soaking in a hot tub of water, I remembered the House Project lead by Jamie Fingal. Because Carolyn loved everything patriotic (history, genealogy, and service) and I just made her a scrappy lap quilt (so sorry she never got a chance to curl up with it), I have lots of patriotic fabrics.

I made my first quilt in her honor. I still need to add a U.S. flag (requirement). These quilts are given to wounded service members. They are 12" w by 16" h. It was fun to make. I'm already thinking of my next quilt. Art saves. Have you used quiltmaking to get through a difficult time?

2 comments:

  1. As the first anniversary of my son's death approaches, art is one of my anchors. I can even sew with tears in my eyes. It's always there for me no matter what. Gray is a beautiful palette right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot imagine your loss and have sent loving thoughts daily. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Karen

      Delete

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.