Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Buffalo Tavern Bed and Breakfast

My time in West Jefferson, North Carolina, was amazing. I stayed a the Buffalo Tavern Bed and Breakfast (c. 1872) just a short drive from  downtown. While it was only 3.5 miles off the main road, the winding road made it seem much further and added to the feeling of adventure. I won't forget my first night and watching the fog roll in a I drove to the place. I met some great people unrelated to the On the Same Page Literary Festival, too, which made the stay even more meaningful.  Doc Adams, the owner, was a great storyteller. He left on a cruise so I only got to spend one morning with him. What a hoot!

I stayed in the "Madam's Room" named because the widowed woman of the house needed lots of
firewood (I forget how many fireplaces there are but it's a lot!) and "took care" of the men who gave it to her. The room is also haunted, but Flora, the ghost, didn't seem to mind my presence so I did not get to meet her. The room is on the second floor and I enjoyed a cup of tea on the second floor porch in the evening before turning in for the evening.

If you are ever in the North Carolina Blue Ridge Mountains and near West Jefferson, I highly recommend you book a stay. You won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful house. I had no idea you were put up in such nice digs!

    ReplyDelete

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.