Friday, October 4, 2013

Creativity and Panic

”You can’t just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood. What mood is that? Last minute panic.” - Bill Watterson

Doesn't Bill Watterson's quote hit the nail on the head! Deadlines are powerful motivators. ClaySpace's opening (tonight, tomorrow and Sunday) created a motivation for me to finish some work so I could be part of ClaySpace Gallery. The first piece was a mask that grew out of the bird pieces I was doing. The fiber is recycled sari silk. There are bone skull beads and other glass beads tied into the string that I dyed. I'm calling it "The Devil is in the Details."

The other mask, "Grief" is one of the first masks I made and one that my youngest son does not like at all. His reaction is quite strong. Passion is a good thing and I find his reaction interesting. I don't take it personally. I know my work is not for everyone.

I glued a piece of black wool felt to the back so the eyes, noses and mouth had more definition. I also added some teardrop metal beads. I am happier with it even if it is not one of my favorite masks. And I am in the gallery!  Overcame that fear and have even gotten compliments on my pieces. The real test will be if they sell.I am going to dwell in the possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.