Monday, May 19, 2014

Path to Enlightenment?


The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak. -Hans Hofmann 

When I came across that quote in one of my journals, I realized that that is what I am doing. When my dad died, one of my jobs was to clean and organize my parents' home. I did curse my dad more than once because he had promised he would not leave a mess for someone else to deal with like his legal guardian did. Well, he did. My dad loved his label maker and had neatly labeled files but we could not find for two days the important papers (found under copies of Handyman magazine). I came to realize that most of us don't want to admit that we won't live forever.

Dealing with mouse droppings, mildew, and clutter has made me want to clear out more things from my life, to take a deep look into other areas of my life that I need to clear out, too--a narrowing of focus. I have been spending time writing and deep cleaning both areas in my home and in my mind. It is a journey.

I am also thankful that this weekend I was finally able to spend time in my garden. There is something about playing in the dirt that feeds me in a special way. I do think that every maple seed that dropped last year germinated in my yard including an entire forest in my lawn! I have become a tree killer.

Thanks to everyone who has written me concerned. I promise to post more often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.